04 July 2009

Am I My Neighbor's Sprinkler?

My deep bed garden is just starting to produce its first viable vegetables . . . today I'll be making a salad with homegrown lettuce, cucumber, bell pepper and my first big tomato! All my patio veggies seem to be doing okay, but I have to get up every morning and make sure they have enough moisture to make it through another day in the 90's. Most mornings you can find me barefoot, pajama-clad, poking my fingers into the dust-dry dirt . . . but lately, everytime I check on the "big" garden, it's as moist as can be. A few days ago I finally learned why. My backyard neighbor just planted some new grass against the fence we share and he's been turning on the sprinkler every morning before my little visits. Then last night I discovered that he waters a little every evening, too. Jackpot!! I really should walk around the corner and thank him for all the free water, but I wouldn't wanna jinx it, or cause him to stumble with philosophical questions like "Am I my brother's keeper?" I do hope his new grass takes hold sometime in late September . . .

2 comments:

robin said...

I wish I had a neighbor like yours. I can never remember to water mine until after dark! Maybe that's why we still don't have any ripe tomatoes...

Its Lainee said...

don't feel too bad . . . I had to water the front this evening and FORGOT to turn it off for 2 hours--I'll probably have giant mushrooms tomorrow and the GREEN police after me for filling up the gutters!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails