14 March 2011

Down the Rabbit Hole

Caterpillar: Who are YOU? 
Alice: This was not an encouraging opening for a conversation. I -- I hardly know, sir, just at present -- at least I know who I was when I got up this morning, but I think I must have been changed several times since then.
Alice: Would you tell me, please, which way I ought to go from here?
The Cat: That depends a good deal on where you want to get to
Alice: I don't much care where.
The Cat: Then it doesn't much matter which way you go.
Alice: …so long as I get somewhere.
The Cat: Oh, you're sure to do that, if only you walk long enough.
Today I feel a little bit like the main character in my first "chapter book" . . . I'm not sure exactly where I've been for the past year, but I've definitely been changed several times since then.   Since last April 1st, 2010 (an apt day to start such  a journey), I've been frozen in time somewhere between Another Country (Navigating the Emotional Terrain of our Elders), and Codependency No More (Letting Go of Others and Caring For Yourself). Being "Sandwiched" between my fragile aging parents and my struggling adult children, "my own life" seemed to be LOST . . . but today I believe I have walked long enough to actually get somewhere that I've unconsciously wished to be since I was Alice's age.  I look forward to sharing the most redemptive (and lighthearted) parts of that journey in the days to come.

2 comments:

Julie Hunt said...

You are getting somewhere, my friend. Excited about the redemptive and lighthearted journey!

David said...

Julie is right, you are headed down a good path (though long and winding at times) and I am thrilled to be walking right beside you.

Related Posts with Thumbnails