03 January 2009

Long Live the Gumdrop Tree!

As far back as I can remember, my family decorated a gumdrop tree every Christmas. My mom can't remember exactly how our tradition started, except that candy trees became novel back in the 50's when plastics like Tupperware became widely available. Somehow I inherited the gumdrop tree and have used it every year since . . . until this year when the limbs started suffering from old age and breaking off as each gumdrop was removed. I got a little lump in my throat when I considered that it might be our last Christmas with our sweet little tree . . . but no . . . thanks to the glorious world of cyber commerce, I've located a replacement from Miles Kimball, so the gumdrop tree can live on for another generation!

5 comments:

JAY S. said...

I wonder if there is such a thing as a Reese’s Cup Tree. Also, upon noticing just now that Jack (of IN THE BOX) is the topper of this gumdrop me, makes me think that it should be called a “Jack with the Drops” tree. Food for thought . . .

Its Lainee said...

oh yeah, I love the Reese's idea! And I forgot to mention "Jack"--one of the first places I could ride my bike by myself (when they would still serve us at the drive thru)!

Anonymous said...

Well what do you know....middle sister inherited the gum drop tree! Do you know I was cleaning out my pantry and found red and green gumdrops (not multicolored) in a sealed unopened plastic container. The gumdrops had no place to be because YOU had the tree!!! I love Jack... I have fond memories of the three of us cruising home from Galveston and stopping for tacos and Dr. Pepper. Remember how I would scream out at Jack when placing the order and then ducking as Fred Ford made its way to the window?! Oh my...Maybe Jack should stay on his box and not our beloved gumdrop tree. Long live our gumdrop tree...P.S. Remember when gumdrops would disappear and we would say Ethel ate them! oxoxarose

Its Lainee said...

Oh sister! That made me roar (like Melvin Lion). "I want a Jack Taco and FRENCH FRIES!" was what you would yell before ducking down . . .

Simple Sweet Soul said...

Michelle and I are always discussing traditions we can make and create that our uniquely ours. I really like this one because I have a sweet tooth. I think I am inspired by your tradition to make it also one of mine. BTW, I can't believe I'm blogging, but I enjoy it. Your blog is awesome!!!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails