28 November 2009

Yesterday's Fleeting Thought: Boycotting Christmas!



It was the night after Thanksgiving, and we were flopped out on the couch asking, "Why are we so exhausted?"  I hadn't even put away all the serving dishes from Thanksgiving dinner, but we had already bought pine garland and replacement bulbs at Home Depot. That's when I had an fleeting thought, maybe an epiphany . . . we could boycott Christmas. Not the good, parts, the REAL parts, just the drag-out-all-the-mass-of-Christmas-stuff part.

How did we ever reconcile that all the energy and money we put into decorating and shopping has anything to do with Christ's Nativity? My Muslim friends have asked me the same thing. Even the original St. Nicholas, whom I've loyally supported for years, was leaving gifts for the POOR, identifying with Christ's humble incarnation. Yeah. Boycott the fake parts. I liked the idea more and more.

No Christmas cards this year? Check. No lights on the shrubs? Check. Well . . . I bought those replacement bulbs and the garland for the front door, and a $9.99 photosensor to save energy. No Christmas tree?  Aww, but I bought a cute little motorized Thomas the Train set to run around the tree for my grandson. So I suppose the (skinny, artificial, pre-lighted) tree must be dragged out. Yes, and I already bought a little bag of Evergreen mix at Yarrow Acres to make it SMELL real.  So only the most meaningful ornaments (can't go there yet) and my Potting Shed Nativity (minus a broken shepherd from last year) . . . and the gumdrop tree, a 50-year family tradition (sigh). But . . . no stockings hanging over the fireplace? Mmm, not sure my adult children could handle not finding them stuffed full of cash and gift cards on Christmas morning. Could I? It was a fleeting thought: boycotting Christmas. At least I will simplify and work harder to sift out the fake from the real.  Does that make me a Grinch?

2 comments:

rayandangela said...

I am right there with you..We've been simplifying for years without leaving out the meaningful traditions for the kids. My favorite thing is the boys only get 3 presents a piece (representing gold,frankincense and myrrh).. Nine little presents wrapped under the tree is so nice!!Simple and meaningful makes for such a great Christmas for our family!

Unknown said...

We're getting older and wiser, that's all. Your biggest challenge now will be to keep from overdoing it for the next generation, but I think you're on the right track!

Related Posts with Thumbnails