28 October 2009

My First Cookbook (c. 1959)

One of the benefits of cleaning out your attic is coming across long forgotten treasures. It's one of the risks, too . . . since I'm quite likely to prolong my cleaning job by stopping to chronicle stuff that might distintegrate. I thought I started to cook when I earned the Cooking Badge in Girl Scouts, but I guess I had already started experimenting with this little cookbook from the Imperial Sugar Co. in Sugarland, Texas (click here) It had to be third grade or before,because the covers have evidence of some first attempts at cursive writing and our phone number prefix was GY4 ("Gypsy") and zip codes were only two numbers between the city and state (Houston, 36, Texas). My "review"at the end of the cookbook read: "Oh! My! I like all of the recipes!" Too bad Jerry's Bars ("my best dish") and Toasty Tuna Casserole are no longer doctor-approved foods--I'd surely cook more than I do!

2 comments:

Simple Sweet Soul said...

I love this! "Oh! My!....."

robin said...

oh, elaine...i remember my first cookbook. i'm going to ask my mom if she still has it. thanks for memories!!

Related Posts with Thumbnails