26 September 2009

What's Up, Doc?


Above ground there were beautiful green carrot tops . . . .


. . . but underneath only scawny, spindly six-inch carrots!

All in all, it's been a good summer growing season for my deep-bed organic garden. For the first time, I planted good organic seeds--not just store-bought plants--and I worked really hard to keep it cultivated, pest-free and fertilized with mushroom compost and fish poop. The red potatoes, cucumbers and albion strawberries were definite successes, but I was most excited about the huge Japanese Imperial Carrots that were (supposedly) forming under the bushy green heads that surrounded my lettuce, tomatoes, herbs and marigolds. Any ideas about what might have happened? And while we're on the subject of slow, stunted growth, what's up with my croquet-ball sized Watermelons at the end of the gorgeous flowering vines trailing out of the bed borders?

No comments:

Related Posts with Thumbnails