16 April 2009

A Half-Century-Old and Still Cooking!

I live in a 10-year-old house, but after five years we had already replaced the microwave oven, the refrigerator, the downstairs and upstairs AC and the hot water heater. How is it possible that my parents' home is 51 years old and they are still using the original 1958 oven made by General Electric? Maybe we should have replaced our brand spanking new appliances with vintage ones!! Better yet, I think I'll order a copy of the 1958 Schoolgirl's Pocketbook and begin with the good horse sense on p. 93 . . .
Oven Chart: simple test for temperature for [electric] ovens . . . place a piece of white kitchen paper in a hot oven for 3 minutes. If the paper is . . .
black ..............................the oven is too hot
deep brown..................... the oven is very hot
golden brown.................. the oven is hot
light brown......................the oven is moderately hot
light biscuit..................... the oven is slow
As Martin Luther King once said, "Progress is neither automatic or inevitable."
[Hope I didn't jinx it . . . I'm sad to report that said oven's heating element cracked in mid July and it finally had to be replaced. Rest in peace, valiant workhorse.]

1 comment:

KT said...

Okay, I totally agree!
I sometimes see 4 year old refrigerators and FRONT loading washers for free on Craigslist because they have quit working! Are you kidding me? We had the same appliances my whole life.

Related Posts with Thumbnails