26 November 2008

A Thanksgiving Epiphany

[first get the tune to “Oh Happy Day / When Jesus Washed My Sins Away” going in your mind] “Oh happy day, Oh happy day, my blower sucked, my blower mulched, my blower bagged all my leaves away . . . Oh happy day . . . !”
For the last few weeks, I’ve been looking out the window at my withered up garden waiting to be put to bed for the winter, at a flat of blue and yellow pansies waiting to be transplanted by the mailbox, at four bags of bulbs waiting to be buried so that next spring will prove that something was planned ahead of time . . . and then there were ALL THOSE LEAVES blanketing the front and back yard. Just thinking of it was paralyzing, until yesterday when we discovered that our Black and Decker “hay” blower can also vacuum!

What a feeling of power to watch piles and piles of leaves disappear up a big plastic cylinder—filling one biodegradable bag after another with perfect bits of mulch that will cover our county's walking trails—I felt so . . . so green!
It was such a great feeling, that after clearing and pitch-forking my garden, I covered it up with a beautiful "quilt" of the colorful confetti! My sense of accomplishment is worth every Advil I’ll have to take to get out of bed to make my Cranberry Jezebel sauce for Thanksgiving dinner!

4 comments:

Kristi said...

umm,can i borrow that wonder?? and some jezebel sauce too?

Its Lainee said...

'course! what's mine is yours if what's yours is mine! the "jezebel" ingredients are dijon mustard, horseradish,and pineapple preserves mixed in with fresh cranberries, brown sugar . . . and of course, purified water!

Nanette R. said...

I just love it when I find something to make the dreaded chore easier! I hope you weren't too sore after all that work, but I know that you had a great feeling of satisfaction that the dreaded chore(s) were finished! Yea, Lainee! :-)

JAY S. said...

Now that is quite a photo! Sort of a Martha Stewart meets Bob Vila sort of thing. Hey if you have any of that Jezebel sauce leftover, you just let me and Kristi know. We’ll take care of it for you. :)

Related Posts with Thumbnails