02 September 2008

I (Heart) School Supplies

Ever since I carried my first Big Chief tablet and Crayola Crayons to kindergarten back in 1961, I have been in love with school supplies! New watercolors, Lefty scissors, and a set of map pencils have been replaced by multi-colored Sharpies, a full-sized paper cutter and scented dry erase markers., but my feelings of simple pleasure are the same. The first day of school was always the day after Labor Day, so today it just felt right to return to my ESL classroom. I enjoyed all the table-arranging, roll-organizing and volunteer-orienting, but what really made me happy was laying out all the school supplies! Black medium point pens, sharp sunflower yellow #2 pencils, laminated, rewritable name strips, and a great big "sticky" chart. To top off my day, I spent an hour in the Parent-Teacher Store on the way home! It’s a ritual I’ve been devoted to for decades . . . my New Year is really marked by the Academic calendar. I guess I acknowledged what that makes me, when I returned to my place after the break at a continuing education seminar, to find that all my pens and highlighters had been arranged to spell N-E-R-D. That’s okay, Melinda, I will wear that label proudly, just like the perfectly printed name tags I made for my English students today!

2 comments:

Kristi said...

Hee, you dear thing. I'm just the same way with that stuff. Only now it's more expensive, more toxic, more addicting. Makes me want to run out to the PlaZa Art Supply! Well, maybe when it's light out...

TD said...

Elaine! I enjoyed this. I will definitely revisit. Thanks for the inspiration you and Kami have been to me lately!

Related Posts with Thumbnails